Incidence and pattern of congenital heart disease in a tertiary care hospital

Journal Title: Medpulse International Journal of Pediatrics - Year 2018, Vol 8, Issue 1

Abstract

Background: To find the prevalence and pattern of congenital heart diseases (CHD) at a teaching hospital in Warangal, Telangana State, India. Materials and Methods: It was a prospective study conducted in the department of pediatrics of MGM Hospital, Warangal, over a period of one and half year.113 children from birth to 12 years of age who had congenital heart disease confirmed by echo cardiography were included. Results: In our study the incidence of congenital heart disease was 9.3 per 1000 live births, as compared to the general incidence of 8 – 10 per 1000 live births. Out of total cases (113) studied, 75cases (66.37%) were of acyanotic heart diseases, where as the remaining 38 cases (33.63%) were of cyanotic congenital heart diseases. Major types of CHD were VSD (38.05%), TOF (20.35%), ASD (13.27%), PDA (10.61%), and TGA (8.84%).Male outnumbers female child. Common Symptoms and signs were Breathlessness (62.83%), features of LRTI (46%), FTT (39.82%), features of CHF (34.51%), Cyanosis (30.08%), Cyanotic spells (15.92%) and Clubbing (14.15%). Frequently observed complications were Recurrent LRTI, CHF, FTT, Cyanotic spells, pulmonary arterial hyper tension. Conclusion: The prevalence of CHD at a tertiary care teaching hospital (MGM Hospital, Warangal, Telangana state, India), is 9.3 per 1000 live births.VSD, ASD, PDA are the most common acyanotic and TOF, TGA are the common cyanotic congenital heart defects respectively. Non invasive diagnostic technique (2D ECHO) plays major role in the diagnosis of CHD. When clinical evidence leads to suspicion of congenital heart defect, an echocardiography should be performed immediately.

Authors and Affiliations

Vasudev Kompally, Dr Vijay Kumar G

Keywords

Related Articles

A study of clinical profile and associated factors of nephrotic syndrome in children at tertiary health care center

Background: Nephrotic syndrome (NS) is a kidney disease with high incidence compared with other kidney disease. Aims and Objectives: To Study Clinical profile and Associated factors of Nephrotic syndrome in Children at t...

A study of the associated factors for meconium aspiration syndrome at tertiary health care center

Background: Meconium Aspiration Syndrome (MAS) is defined as development of respiratory distress in newborns soon after birth, which have got radiological evidence of aspiration pneumonitis along with meconium staining o...

Role of serum zinc levels in simple febrile convulsions in children

Background: Febrile convulsions in children can be induced by several factors. In febrile convulsions there is an enhanced neuronal excitability during the normal brain maturation. Gamma amino butyric acid is an importan...

Clinical profile of children with down syndrome with special reference to thyroid hormone levels

Background: Down syndrome (DS) results from trisomy of chromosome 21. Down syndrome produces a typical phenotype that includes a characteristic mongoloid facies, mental retardation and hypotonia, and is often associated...

A study of prevalence and factors associated with anemia in the paediatric patients at tertiary health care centre

Background: Anaemia is a major public health problem in developing countries. The global estimate of childhood anaemia indicates that 293.1 million (approximately 43 %) of children under five years are anaemic worldwide....

Download PDF file
  • EP ID EP443937
  • DOI 10.26611/1014811
  • Views 101
  • Downloads 0

How To Cite

Vasudev Kompally, Dr Vijay Kumar G (2018). Incidence and pattern of congenital heart disease in a tertiary care hospital. Medpulse International Journal of Pediatrics, 8(1), 1-7. https://europub.co.uk/articles/-A-443937