YOUTH ASPIRATIONS, SOCIAL MOBILITY AND EDUCATIONAL TARGET ACHIEVEMENT IN SRI LANKA

Journal Title: Social Affairs - Year 2016, Vol 1, Issue 4

Abstract

This study attempts to identify how young students set educational targets in major competency levels of their education namely, GCE Ordinary Level (O/L), GCE Advanced Level (A/L), First Degree and Post-Graduate level, and how far they achieve those targets or deviate, which can be used as a yardstick to measure the impact and relevance of education in Sri Lanka. The study was conducted in the Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka in 2011. A questionnaire was provided to 150 respondents who were selected based on formal systematic random sampling method. The study reveals that students select their future feld of education during the period of GCE O/L based on their performance and set future targets accordingly. The ‘white collar job mentality’ is infused to most students during this period with considerable contribution from parents, family members, teachers and other social networks, which intensifes competition in the job market later on. The Chi-square test concluded that there is a relationship between the selection of subject stream at A/L and family income at 5% level of signifcance (P value=0.043, probability 95%), which later determines job prospects and their payoffs. Additionally, 67% of the undergraduates in the sample have decided to follow a postgraduate degree due to the challenges in the job market. The paper concludes that though youth aspirations and social mobility are based on education, they are also heavily conditioned by structural realities such as family wealth, status, and life opportunities, as well as unequal distributions of education facilities.

Authors and Affiliations

S. J. M. N. G. Samarakoon, S. Rasnayake and D. T. Chandrasekara

Keywords

Related Articles

SURVIVAL AND REVIVAL OF TIBETAN ETHNIC IDENTITY IN INDIA

Ethnic identity is a complex multifaceted phenomenon that is constructed or negotiated to form a nation-state. Once formed, it occupies an intrinsic part of the development of an individual. Multiple circumstances have...

WOMEN IN THE PATRIARCHAL WELFARE STATE

This essay analyses the implications of the state performing a welfare function for an extended period of time in relation to the social contract between women citizens and the state. It argues that a prolonged status...

PERADENIYA ACADEMICS OF THE EARLY DAYS AND THEIR CONTRIBUTION TO SINHALA STUDIES

The contribution of the University of Peradeniya to the theatre and literary arts is well known. The ‘Golden Era’ of Peradeniya was characterized by a succession of truly phenomenal works in the felds of fction, poetry...

THE STORY OF TWO DEPARTMENTS: PHILOSOPHY AND PSYCHOLOGY

The present article attempts to capture a glimpse of the path of Philosophy in the University of Ceylon during its 75 years of existence. Philosophy was among the subjects that were in the curriculum of the Faculty of...

SOCIOLOGY AT THE UNIVERSITY OF CEYLON

For eight years after its establishment in 1948, the Department of Sociology remained in the ambiguous terrain of being both an independent department and a subordinate partner of the Economics Department. In that role...

Download PDF file
  • EP ID EP31419
  • DOI -
  • Views 223
  • Downloads 1

How To Cite

S. J. M. N. G. Samarakoon, S. Rasnayake and D. T. Chandrasekara (2016). YOUTH ASPIRATIONS, SOCIAL MOBILITY AND EDUCATIONAL TARGET ACHIEVEMENT IN SRI LANKA. Social Affairs, 1(4), -. https://europub.co.uk/articles/-A-31419