Thyroid Dysfunction Among Patients with Depression in a Tertiary Care Hospital in Puducherry

Journal Title: Indian Journal of Law and Human Behavior - Year 2019, Vol 5, Issue 2

Abstract

Background: The association between depression and thyroid disorders are studied extensively but still remains disputable. Hence, the current study was designed to estimate the proportion of thyroid dysfunction among depressive patients and also to study their association. Material and Methods: This was a hospital based cross sectional study done in a tertiary care centre in rural Puducherry. Eighty eligible patients with depression of any severity were included. They were interviewed with structured pretested questionnaire. The Hamilton Depression Rating Scale was used to measure the level of severity of depression. Thyroid functions test was carried out. Ethical principles were adhered throughout the study. SPSS version 24.0 was used for analysis and Chi-square test was used to find out association between severity of depression and thyroid status. Results: Of 80 depressed participants 45% were more than 45 years, females (72.5%) were the maximum and so 35% were homemakers. Participants belonging to upper middle socio-economic class were the majority (42.5%) and 65% were from rural area. Of the study participants 60, (75%) had normal thyroid function tests, one (5%) had hyperthyroid state and the remaining 19 (95%) had hypothyroidism. Among the depressed patients 67.5% had mild to moderate depression and 32.5% had severe depression. Increasing age and hypothyroid status were statistically associated. Conclusions: Majority of the depressed patients had moderate level of severity and hypothyroidism was the most common thyroid abnormality identified. Increasing age and hypothyroid status were associated with depression. Periodic screening of depressed patients for thyroid abnormality is recommended.

Authors and Affiliations

S Sajeesh

Keywords

Related Articles

Working of District Consumer Forum with Special Reference to Kalaburagi District Consumer Forum: A Study

Consumer and consumerism stands unequivocally similar but appears to be differing in their basic degree of application. Consumer is a person who buy the goods and services for consumption and no one is outside the purvie...

The Agreement on Agriculture (AoA) of WTO and Its Impact on India

The international trade treaties especially the treaties and agreements under World Trade Organization (WTO) have challenged the very existence and livelihood of the farmers throughout the world especially in developing...

Problems Faced in Implementing Environmental Protection Laws Due to Migration in Assam, India

Migration involves physical movement from one place to another which causes population distribution to bring out socio-economic, cultural, political and legal changes. In modern time, migration has been considered as an...

A Sociolegal Analysis of DNA Paternity Testing in India

This paper traces the use of DNA testing in paternity confirmation in India. Although the use of DNA fingerprinting has revolutionized crime investigations across the world, it has also opened a Pandora’s Box wherein men...

The Relative Worth of Personality Traits of Advocates: A Perception Study in Silchar Town of Assam

The study was conducted to identify the personality traits required in a person to become a successful advocate and also to study the relative worth of the select personality traits by knowing the perceptions of the samp...

Download PDF file
  • EP ID EP642089
  • DOI 10.21088/ijlhb.2454.7107.5219.2
  • Views 47
  • Downloads 0

How To Cite

S Sajeesh (2019). Thyroid Dysfunction Among Patients with Depression in a Tertiary Care Hospital in Puducherry. Indian Journal of Law and Human Behavior, 5(2), 103-109. https://europub.co.uk/articles/-A-642089