Efficacy of indigenous bubble CPAP in treating respiratory distress of newborn

Journal Title: Medpulse International Journal of Pediatrics - Year 2017, Vol 4, Issue 1

Abstract

Background: Respiratory illness remains one of the most common causes of neonatal death in the developing world. The respiratory support during distress is provided to neonates using either mechanical ventilation or Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP).Aim and Objectives: To study the efficacy of indigenous bubble CPAP in treating respiratory distress among newborns also, to study the variation in outcome of BCPAP with changing gestational age. Material and Methods: It’s a prospective, observational type of study conducted on the babies requiring BCPAP at the time or during the hospital stay over a period of 2 years. The final outcome in terms of success and failure evaluated and also studied with reference to gestational ages. Results: Out of 1571 patients, a total of 748 (47.61%) required BCPAP. There were 452 males with 276 (61.06%) managed successfully with a Poor outcome among males compared to females (77.03%). There is an increase in chance of success regarding outcome of BCPAP as the gestational age increases. Out of 748 babies kept on BCPAP, 244 (32.6%) failed and remaining 504 (67.4%) were showed favourable results with BCPAP. Summary and Conclusions: BCPAP is increasingly used as a first choice for ventilator support in tertiary centres. It reduces morbidity and mortality, as well as the need for mechanical ventilation. It can be administered by trained nurses and is safer than mechanical ventilation.

Authors and Affiliations

Suresh Narayan Singh, Shivprasad Mundada

Keywords

Related Articles

Incidence and mortality in the babies with meconium aspiration syndrome admitted in NICU

Background: Passage of meconium considered physiological exhibiting sign of foetal maturity on one hand and a sign of foetal distress a response to hypoxic insult on the other hand. Intrauterinefoetal gasping, mechanical...

Study of congenital malformations and related maternal and foetal factors: Hospital based study

Background: Congenital malformation represents defects in morphogenesis during early fetal life. According to the World Health Organization (WHO) document of 1972. Aims and Objectives: To Study of Congenital Malformation...

Comparison and correlation between serum bilirubin and transcutaneous bilirubin in NICU Bidar

Background: Hyperbilirubinemia is one of the most common problem in neonates. An estimation of the bilirubin value is essential for decision making in jaundiced babies. Transcutaneous bilirubin screening is a quick, non...

Study ofage at initiation, type and mode of giving complementary feeds in infants aged 6-12 months in urban and rural population

Bckground: According to WHO, Complementary Feeds(CF) should be given timely, adequately and appropriately.The present study was undertaken to find the age at initiation, type and mode ofgiving CFin 6 -12 months infants i...

Assessment of glycemic control, glucose variability, and hypoglycemic incidence using insulin degludec in children and adolescent with type I diabetes

Objective: The objective of this study is to study the most recent evidence on glucose variability using insulin degludec comparing it with insulin Glargine in children and adolescents with C-Pepde negative type I Diabet...

Download PDF file
  • EP ID EP260253
  • DOI -
  • Views 191
  • Downloads 0

How To Cite

Suresh Narayan Singh, Shivprasad Mundada (2017). Efficacy of indigenous bubble CPAP in treating respiratory distress of newborn. Medpulse International Journal of Pediatrics, 4(1), 7-9. https://europub.co.uk/articles/-A-260253