The Relationship between Self-Rated Proficiency in Orthodontics and Tested Orthodontic Knowledge of Dentists Using Facebook in the United Kingdom

Journal Title: Journal of Dental Health and Oral Research - Year 2020, Vol 1, Issue 3

Abstract

Introduction: There has been a rise in orthodontic treatments being undertaken by dentists in the United Kingdom (UK). Levels of orthodontic education vary, and this may impact upon self-rated proficiency and tested knowledge of orthodontics. Purpose: The study aimed to assess the relationship between self-rated proficiency in orthodontics and tested orthodontic knowledge of dentists in a UK Facebook group, and determine if this was related to the level of orthodontic education. Materials and Methods: A two-part online survey was sent to dentists who were members of a closed Facebook group (The Dentist UK). Part one asked demographic and attitudinal questions including practice environment, level of orthodontic education and self-rated ability in diagnosis and treatment (proficiency). Part two consisted of questions to test orthodontic knowledge. Eligible participants were placed into one of four groups based on level of education: General Dental Practitioners (GDPs) with single day course completion (group 1), multiple day course completion (group 2), postgraduate course completion (group 3) and specialist level training (group 4). Results: A total of 102 participants completed the study, of which 38.2% (n=39) did not undertake orthodontic treatments. The remaining participants (n=63; 61.8%) were assigned group 1 (n=32; 50.8%), group 2 (n=8; 12.7%), group 3 (n=13; 20.6%) and group 4 (n=10; 15.9%). Group 1 rated themselves least proficient (mean=3.27), followed by group 2 (mean=3.71), group 3 (mean=3.9) and then group 4 (mean=4.47). Knowledge test scores were lowest for group 1 (37.8%), then group 2 (60%), group 3 (56.2%) and group 4 (73.5%). Selfrated proficiency significantly predicted accuracy on the knowledge test. The level of education positively correlated with the knowledge test scores. Conclusions: Test scores for orthodontic knowledge generally increased with increasing levels of self-rated orthodontic proficiency. Those with lower levels of orthodontic education generally performed less well in the orthodontic knowledge test.

Authors and Affiliations

MJ Rowland-Warmann*, Parmjit Singh

Keywords

Related Articles

Surgical Reintervention in the Chin in a Patient with a Silicone Chin Implant – A Case Report

The use of biomaterials may be an option for the treatment mainly of chin deficiencies. One of the most used materials is silicone prostheses. However, some problems with this material were observed, mainly the bone re...

The Oral Mucosa: Subtypes of Epidermolysis Bullosa

The oral cavity, which consists of the lips, vestibule, gums, hard and soft palates, tongue, tonsil, uvula and salivary glands, is covered by a superficial pluristratified epithelium. The oral mucosa includes masticato...

Eruption Status of First Permanent Molar and Prevalence of Dental Caries among School Going North Indian Children: An Epidemiological Study

Background: Dental caries is one of the most widespread oral disease affecting children and adults globally irrespective of age and gender. The prevalence of dental caries is of the immense concern and is the primary sub...

Pediatric Restorative Option for Congenitally Missing Anterior Teeth: A Carolina Bridge Case Series

Congenital absence of permanent maxillary lateral incisors can have a negative impact on adolescent patients from a functional and psychological standpoint. Historically used treatment options for hypodontia are invasive...

The Tubercule Carabeli in a Moroccan Population

Aim: The aim of our study was to determine the prevalence, degree of expression and the symmetry of the Tubercle of Carabelli “TC” in a sample of Dentistry students to highlight this sensitive area to dental caries. M...

Download PDF file
  • EP ID EP699005
  • DOI http://dx.doi.org/10.46889/JDHOR.2020.1305
  • Views 12
  • Downloads 0

How To Cite

MJ Rowland-Warmann*, Parmjit Singh (2020). The Relationship between Self-Rated Proficiency in Orthodontics and Tested Orthodontic Knowledge of Dentists Using Facebook in the United Kingdom. Journal of Dental Health and Oral Research, 1(3), -. https://europub.co.uk/articles/-A-699005